The Placid Saint
In 1755, the British expelled all “French inhabitants” in Nova Scotia for refusing to pledge an unconditional allegiance to England. Approximately 10,000 Acadians were sent off on chips and banished. After their force departure, the British burned their buildings and destroyed their cemeteries. (But not, notably, the extensive dike system the Acadians had build in low-lying areas near Grand Pré. The dikes are still visible – and used – today.)
From 1763, the British permitted the Acadians to return, only not to the lands they’d lived on before. Instead many Acadians ended up along the Bay of Fundy in an area that is still known as the French Shore. The Acadian culture is still very strong in this part of the province, and French is still the first language of most residents.
Just outside of the tiny town of Belleveau is the first cemetery that was established after the Acadians returned; a placid saint keeps watch from her spot in a tiny chapel.
Belleveau Cove, Nova Scotia
Posted on August 11, 2015, in Photography and tagged 365 photo project, Acadians, Belleveau Cove Nova Scotia, melinda green harvey, Nova Scotia, one day one image, photography, postaday. Bookmark the permalink. 4 Comments.